Saturday, April 27, 2013

X is for Xylophones

It was third grade when I got my first real interaction with music. The class pretty much boiled down to two parts. First off there was singing and then there was the instrument part.

Simple enough, two crucial parts to music in a very basic form. Thing was, I couldn't sing, and I still can't. No matter how much I love to belt out when driving, I have definitely not improved.

Then there was the instrumental portion of the class. And the instrument of instruction, the xylophone. It was easy enough, cause all we were thought was when to hit which notes at what time, even removing the bars not needed for song.

I still had a problem with that. I would rush through the notes, going way beyond the tempo. I needed something more challenging to play, to try, but simplicity was the order for the class.

Beyond those elementary classes, I never had any hands on experience with instruments. And then there was senior year. I finally got the opportunity to play the guitar. And that was a great experience, finally learning to read music, understand how things go together, and even a little bit of theory. And maybe my improvement was small, but it was something. And I hope that I will be able to find the time to continue to work on it, and improve a lot more.

X is for XO - Fall Out Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment