Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for Dodgeball

There was something about playing sports in P.E. that was great. I think it mostly had something to do with the fact that I have never been the greatest at sports. But P.E. was always a great equalizer, giving a fair playing field, a mixture of athletes and other students who didn't care much to be there. It gave me a chance to stand out more in whatever sports we played. And a place where I could try different things than I usually would on the playing field since it was never for real, and I was never playing to prove myself for more playing time.

Dodgeball was one of the best. It is simple enough sport, you throw a ball and either try to dodge or catch the balls thrown at you. I have never understood the point of getting rid of that in schools. Yes, the rubber balls can be painful, and probably aren't the best use for the sport, but maybe instead using foam balls. At the schools I attended, those were the ones used, and I never saw anyone have any sort of injury from it. So why remove easy, fun sports and instead rather change things around to instead suit the current climate we have in our country?

D is for Die Young - Paradise Fears

2 comments:

  1. I love dodgeball. I was really sad when they got rid of it in my school as well. :(

    And also, cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about this. Getting rid of dodgeball just seems like another turn in the wrong direction. It doesn't teach anyone anything by removing it.

    ReplyDelete