Saturday, June 12, 2010

Its In The Training

Alas, it seems plans are destined to change. The journey started out pretty simple. At 1700 I arrived as planned at the marina which two of my crew, George and Caroline were already there. I opened the cabin and we proceeded to stow our gear. As I hoped, all the gear that I would need for the ten day journey fit perfectly. Sometime within the hour, Skipper arrived followed by Ms. B who was towing Seth along. We discussed what we were gonna be doing the next day and figured out what provisions would be needed.
As soon as that was done, we replaced the outdated emergency signal kits. This, of course, made me excited cause we now have some flares that we can use to practice with (I am somewhat of a pyromaniac). We also went over the checklist, which proved to be a quick task as all seemed to be in order.
When we were done, around 1830, we headed out to dinner at a Greek and Italian restaurant by the name of Dennie's. I have to admit the atmosphere of the place was really laid back and the food was good. But since we had more task ahead of us, we proceed to shop at around 2000. We proceed to buy all our necessities and even some USB powered speakers, which we can now use for our musical needs as we are attached to shore power (No Country of course). Eventually we arrived back at the marina sometime after 2200.
Although tired my high anticipation for the trip made it difficult for me to fall asleep. Around 2330 Skipper woke up to go to the bathroom, and as I was unaware that I had been awake thought it was already 0200 and was forced to calm down as he told me to go back to bed. Somewhere around a possible 0100 I believe I settled into an invisible sleep to be woken up around 0300. It was finally time to go and after a quick trip to the bathroom, I began to organize the crew into preparations of taking off.
Everything was set and the GPS was ready, all that was needed was to turn the engine one and pull out. But there is where the problem came in. A high pitched squealing sound was coming from the engine. It seems that there was a problem with a crucial component to the generator and water pump, with a belt being to loose. With little possibility of having someone fix it in the next hour we were forced to abandon our quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment