Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lumber Co.

Finally, I've made some real progress. I've gained the ambition I've needed for such a long. I tend to eventually find what I want to create but even then, just that process can consume a lot of time. But when I know what I want, just trying to start takes some willpower which I can never seem to muster. In the end, I've wasted a lot of time and my end product can seem rushed and I end up noticing what I want to change but can't.
I'm talking about my artwork. People say its good but I don't always agree, I know people tend to judge themselves much harsher, but maybe I'm right and they're wrong.




Originally, the assignment was to create a piece, either 2D or 3D, which a Cubist intention. I decided to make a sculpture, and wanted to use cardboard and duct-tape with paper clips for support. I chose to make the theme/subject matter be Fire and Water. With that I created a a simple flame image with cut cardboard covered in red duct-tape. From there I arranged into a sort of centerpiece that made a 3D fire. And then I wanted the piece to be moving somehow for water so I created a water feature which acts sort of as a water fall. From the top, if water is pored it will flow down to the bottom through a path and then into a hole in the box that removes the water. Depending on the rate at which water is added it will not spill over, but if it does, the duct-tape covers the cardboard preventing damage. From that, I've finally finished a piece early, six days before its due date.

4 comments:

  1. Well, it's certainly interesting.
    Fire and water is an amazing theme too.
    I love art, because it doesn't have to make sense, it just IS.

    Okay, I was in my room and I started brainstorming this because I was waiting for someone and bored.
    I kind of wound little stories, and pieces of my life into a little.... I don't even know what to call it. I showed it to my friend, and he said it sounded like early Relient k, cheesy and funny.

    I was going to email it to you.... I'm not sure if I want to blog it till I get more opinions. Is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it, I just know I would love to hear it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehh, I dunno, in retrospect it's sounding stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on, you can't do that, you've got to spread your talent, I want to see it.

    ReplyDelete